Lay With Me

As I think of the words of the song, “Field Of Stone” I can't help but see a reflection of God’s love that He pours upon us. When I sing the question, "Would you lay with me in a field of stone?" it reminds me of how God is always with me, even in the hardest and most barren times of my life. His love is steadfast and unchanging, like a rock I can cling to.

The lyrics "If my needs were strong, would you lay with me?" make me think of how God is intimately acquainted with my deepest needs and desires. He knows me better than I know myself, and He is always ready to meet me where I am. When my soul feels dry and parched, like lips that "grow dry," I can trust that God will "wet them" with His living water, refreshing and sustaining me.


The image of walking "a thousand miles through the burning sand" and wiping "the blood away from my dying hand" paints a vivid picture of the lengths to which God goes to reach us and rescue us. It reminds me of the story of the Good Shepherd who leaves the ninety-nine to find the one lost sheep. No distance is too great, no sacrifice too much for God's relentless love.

The question, "If I give myself to you, will you bathe with me in the stream of life?" speaks to me of the intimate, transformative relationship God desires to have with us. When I surrender my life to Him, He washes me clean and makes me new, just as baptism symbolizes. And this isn't a one-time thing, but a continual process of being renewed and refreshed in God's presence, like bathing in a stream or drinking the living water.


The idea of God still loving me "when I am down and out" and standing by me "in my time of trials" is a powerful reminder of His faithfulness and unconditional love. No matter how far I fall or how much I struggle, God's love remains constant. He is a friend who sticks closer than a brother, a comforter in times of trouble, a stronghold in the day of distress.


Ultimately, the song's words paint a beautiful picture of the all-consuming, sacrificial love that God lavishes upon us. It's a love that meets us in our deepest places of need, that pursues us relentlessly, that cleanses and renews us, and that remains steadfast through every trial and challenge. What an incredible gift it is to be loved like this by the Creator of the universe! It's a love that inspires me to love Him in return with all my heart, soul, mind and strength.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lies We Tell

Loneliness - You're Not Alone

A Love So Great